A bridge is a kind of structure that facilitates with road, path, railways etc. Over rivers, roads, valleys and other obstacles through which vehicles or other things can pass easily. In India, there are lots of rivers or water components which obstruct to roam easily.
Top 10 Longest River Bridge in India
Here, we will discuss briefly about top 10 longest river bridge in India. The name of this bridges are:
1. Dhola Sadiya Bridge or Bhupen Hazarika Setu
- Length: 9.15 Km
- Location: Constructed across Lohit river, a tributary of Brahmaputra, in Tinsukia, Assam
- Connectivity: Connects Sadia in Assam and Dhola in Arunachal Pradesh.
It is the longest bridge in India over river. Construction was started in 2011 and was scheduled to inaugurated in 2015 but it delayed. Bridge is constructed by Navayuga Engineering Company Ltd. It has reduced its travel time by four hours.
Also Read: Highest Waterfall in India 2023
2. Dibang River Bridge or Sikang Bridge
- Length: 6.2 Km
- Location: In Arunachal Pradesh across Dibang River.
- Connectivity: connects Dembuk and Roing of Arunachal Pradesh in the eastern part.
Construction of this bridge was started on April, 2014 and was started operating in 2018. The main purpose is to increase Indian Army movement. This bridge is constructed by Navayuga Engineering Company Ltd.
3. Mahatma Gandhi Setu
- Length: 5.75 Km
- Location: Patna, Bihar across the Ganga river.
- Connectivity: Connects North Bihar (Hazipur) and South Bihar (Patna).
Mahatma Gandhi setu was inaugurated in 1982 by the then Prime Minister Ms. Indira Gandhi. The construction was started in 1972 and takes approximately 10 years. It is a four lane bridge of which two lane road for vehicle communication and a single lane for railway track.
4. Bandra Worli Sea Link or Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link
- Length: 5.57 Km
- Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra across Mahim Bay.
- Connectivity: Connects Bandra with Worli.
It is India’s first eight lane cable stayed bridge across open sea. The total expenditure of this project is Rs. 16.5 billion. Construction was started in 2000 and finally completed in 2010 though it was opened in 2009 for public use. This bridge was designed by Seshadri Srinivas.
Related Article – Top 10 Longest River in India
5. Bogibeel Bridge
- Length: 4.94 Km
- Location: Assam, Arunachal Pradesh across Brahmaputra river.
- Connectivity: Connects Assam’s Dibrugarh district with Silapathar in Dhemaji District.
India’s longest rail-cum road bridge. European codes and welding standards was followed while constructing this bridge. This bridge can withstand up to 7 Richter scale. To construct this bridge, total cost was approximately Rs. 5000 crore. This bridge was also known as ‘Lifeline of Assam’. The foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister H. D. Deve Gowda in 1997, January 22 but physical work was started in 2002 and finally inaugurated in 2018.
6. Vikramshila Setu
- Length: 4.7 Km
- Location: Bhagalpur, Bihar across the Ganga river.
- Connectivity: Connects Bhagalpur and Naugachia.
The name of this bridge is according to ancient Mahavira of Vikramashila and was constructed by king Dharmapala.
7. Vembanad Rail Bridge
- Length: 4.62 Km
- Location: Kochi, Kerala across Vembanad lake.
- Connectivity: Edappally to Vallarpadam.
The construction for this bridge was started in 2007 and completed in 2010. This project was completed by Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd. This bridge is only for train movement and per day only 15 trains are allowed to cross.
8. Digha Sonpur Bridge
- Length: 4.55 Km
- Location: Patna, Bihar across the Ganga river.
- Connectivity: Connects Digha Ghat in Patna and Pahleja Ghat in Sonpur.
For this bridge foundation was laid by former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda in 1996, December 22 but physical operation was started in 2003. This bridge was inaugurated in 2016, February 03. Total cost of this project is approximately Rs. 156.09 crore. It reduces travel time for passengers.
9. Arrah Chhapra Bridge or Veer Kunwar Singh Setu
- Length: 4.35 Km
- Location: Saram, Bihar across the Ganga river.
- Connectivity: connects Arrah and Chhapra of Bihar.
Foundation stone was laid for this project in 2010 and completed its construction in 2017. This bridge connects northern and southern Bihar through roadways. Designer of this bridge is McElhanney.
10. Godavari Bridge or Kovvur–Rajahmundry Bridge
- Length: 4.13 Km
- Location: Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh across the Godavari river.
- Connectivity: Connects Kovvur and Rajahmundry.
Design and constructed by Hindustan Construction Company. The construction of this bridge was started in 1991 and completed in 1997. The bridge was opened for public use in 12 March, 1997.
More Related Posts:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the name of the longest bridge in India by length?
Ans: The longest bridge in India is Dhola Sadiya Bridge also known as Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge and it’s length is 9.15 Km.
Q2. Which river connects Hazipur to Patna and on which river?
Ans: The Mahatma Gandhi Setu connects Hazipur which is situated in North Bihar to Patna which is situated in South Bihar.
Q3. Which is the India’s longest rail-cum road bridge and mention it’s connectivity also?
Ans: Bogibeel Bridge is the India’s longest rail-cum road bridge which is constructed across the Brahmaputra river. It connects Dibang, a district of Assam with Silapathar in Dhemaji District.
Q4. Which of the India’s bridge follow European Codes and welding standards for construction?
Ans: Bogibeel Bridge in Assam across the Brahmaputra river follow European Codes and Welding Standards for construction.
Q5. Which bridge is also known as Kunwar Singh Setu?
Ans: Arrah Chhapra Setu which is situated in Bihar across the Ganga river is famous by the name Kunwar Singh Setu.