SSC MTS Preparation 2021: Staff Selection Commission Multi Tasking Staff (SSC MTS) exam is conducted by Staff Selection Commission (SSC) recruit candidates for Group C posts in different States and Union Territories across India.
With the passage of time this examination is getting tougher day by day as lakhs of students aspire for this examination. Number of candidates are higher in this examination because Higher Secondary passed can also apply for this examination.
In this article, we will provide you a fundamental knowledge about syllabus, exam pattern and some important point which will make your preparation easier.
The examination of SSC MTS is delayed due to pandemic situation caused by COVID -19. It is better for you to start taking preparation for SSC MTS exam immediately. Have a glance over this examination:
- Name of the Examination: Staff Selection Commission Multi Tasking Staff (SSC MTS).
- Conducting Body: Staff Selection Commission.
- Level of Exam: All India, (National Level).
- Mode of Exam: Paper I (100 Marks): Online; Paper II (50 Marks): Offline.
- Medium of Exam: Hindi / English.
- Educational Qualification: 10th Pass.
- Marking Scheme: Negative Marking is applicable only in Paper I. For four wrong answer 1 marks will be deducted.
- Age: Minimum 18 Years and Maximum 25 Years but relaxation is applicable for certain categories.
Progress of Examination
SSC MTS is a multi-level examination which consists two phases. Successful candidates of Paper I exam are allowed for Paper II exam. At the final stage document verification is done.
SSC MTS Exam Pattern
Before starting preparation for SSC MTS exam, get complete knowledge about exam pattern. Here, we have discussed in detail the pattern of SSC MTS exam.
Paper I Exam
Tier I is the first level of SSC MTS exam and the type of exam is objective. This paper has four sections viz. General Intelligence & Reasoning, Numerical Ability, General English, and General Awareness.
- Questions provided in both the language English/Hindi.
- Negative marking is applicable and 1 mark will be penalized for every four wrong attempt.
- In general, 90 minutes is allotted for the exam but 120 minutes is provided for physically disabled person.
- From every section 25 marks questions are asked. (I) General Intelligence & Reasoning- 25 marks; (II) Numerical Ability – 25 marks; (III) General English – 25 marks; (IV) General Awareness – 25 marks.
|Subject||No. of Questions||Marks||Total Time
|General English||25||25||90 Minutes
|General Intelligence & reasoning||25||25|
Paper II Exam
The exam of SSC MTS paper II is of descriptive in nature. This paper consists of one question of short essay writing/ letter writing which you can answer in the languages included in the 8th schedule of the Indian Constitution or in English. Full marks of this examination is 50 marks.
The allotted time period is 30 minutes and 40 minutes is given to physically disabled persons. You have to write an essay within 150 words. As SSC MTS paper II is qualifying in nature you have to pass the exam. But the marks will not be carried forward to prepare final merit list.
|Subject||Full Marks||Allotted Time|
|One short essay/letter in English or any other language included in the 8thschedule of the constitution||50 Marks||30 minutes (10 minutes extra is given to PWD Candidates)|
Subject-Wise SSC MTS Preparation
Subject-Wise preparation is necessary to improve your performance in exam. Many of the Expert and Toppers follow the following points.
Preparation Tips for Tier I Exam
In this section we will give you some tips for SSC MTS Tier I exam. The following points will be helpful for the aspirants to score better.
Preparation Tips for General Intelligence (25 marks)
Important topics of this section are Classification, Analogy, Coding & decoding, Matrix, Word formation, Word arrangement to form a sentence or in dictionary order, Venn diagram, Direction/distance, Blood relations, Missing number, Puzzles, Series, Non-verbal reasoning, Verbal reasoning etc.
Average number of questions asked from important topics of General Intelligence are mentioned below:
- Classification: 3 to 4 questions
- Analogy: 3 to 4 questions
- Coding & decoding: 1 to 2 questions
- Matrix: 1 to 2 questions
- Word formation: 2 to 3 questions
- Word arrangement: 1 to 2 questions
- Venn diagram: 1 to 2 questions
- Direction/distance: 1 to 2 questions
- Blood relations: 1 to questions
- Missing number: 1 to 2 questions
- Puzzles: 2 to 4 questions
- Series: 1 to 4 questions
- Non-verbal reasoning: 3 to 6 questions
- Verbal reasoning: 1 to 2 questions
The point remember while preparing for General Intelligence:
- This portion is simple and easy to score good.
- Read the whole question before answer.
- Follow the pattern while answering.
- Practice every day and solve at least 4 topics from this section.
- Get some good quality books for better understanding.
- Revise topics regularly.
Books to be follow:
- For Analytical Reasoning: M K Pandey
- For Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning: R S Aggarwal
- For A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical: B S Sijwali & Indu Sijwali
- For Reasoning for General Competition: KD Campus
Preparation Tips for Numerical Ability (25 Marks)
Questions asked in Numerical Aptitude is simple and a level maintained that maximum matriculate can answer easily. Below we have provided a list of important topics and number of questions asked from it.
- Simplification: 2 to 3 questions
- Interest: 1 to 3 questions
- Percentage: 1 to 3 questions
- Average: 1 to 2 questions
- Ratio and proportion: 1 to 2 questions
- Problems on ages: 0 to 2 questions
- Speed time & distance: 2 to 4 questions
- Profit & loss: 5 to 8 questions
- Number series: 0 to 2 questions
- Number system: 0 to 1 questions
- Mensuration: 2 to 4 questions
- Data interpretation: 2 to 4 questions
- Time & work: 1 to 3 questions
- Mixture problems: 0 to questions
- Algebra: 1 to 3 questions
- Geometry: 1 to 2 questions
- Trigonometry: 0 to 2 questions
As far as concerned the difficulty level of question is easy to moderate. If you give sufficient time in Numerical Aptitude you can score high in this section. In general questions asked from fundamental knowledge.
You have to learn all the formulas and short cut tricks where applicable. Try to collect and do solution of last 5-10 years previous years question.
Numerical Ability Related Books:
- For Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations: R S Aggarwal
- For Arithmetic for General Competition Vol 1& 2: Neetu Singh
Preparation Tips for English (25 Marks)
Questions from English Language is as easy as average number of candidates are able to answer comfortably. Below we mention the important topics and number of questions given in exam.
- Reading comprehension: 5 questions
- Fill in the blanks: 10 questions
- Spelling errors: 6 questions
- Phrases/Idioms: 3 questions
- Synonym/Antonym: 6 questions
- One-word substitution: 5 questions
- Sentence correction: 5 questions
- Spot the error: 10 questions
When you analyze the previous years question papers of SSC MTS you will find that questions from the idiom/ phrases and one-word substitution are repeated.
You need to focus and practice Cloze Test, Comprehension Test, Fill in the Blanks and Spot Errors regularly. Try to follow English newspaper that will help you to improve your grammar, Vocabulary and General Knowledge.
You should learn at least 10-15 words regularly and apply it in your daily life which will help you to memorize it.
English Related Books
We have made a list which will help you in your preparation.
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi: SP Bakshi
- Quick Learning Objective General English: R S Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- English for General Competition Vol 1& 2: KD Campus
Preparation Tips for General Knowledge (25 Marks)
You have a huge opportunity to score high marks in General Section. This section is easy and good scoring. Below we have mentioned some important topics and questions.
- Environment: 2 to 3 questions.
- Economy: 2 to 4 questions.
- Indian Polity: 3 to 5 questions.
- Culture: 1 to 2 questions.
- Indian History: 3 to 5 questions.
- Geography: 4 to 5 questions.
- General Science: 20 questions.
- Current Affairs: 4 to 6 questions.
- Books, Author & Sports: 2 to 4 questions.
- Important Dates, Schemes: 1 to 2 questions.
For Current Affairs follow Newspapers and Magazines regularly to be updated. There are also some questions from Space science so collect information about it.
Important Books for General Knowledge
- Lucent’s General Knowledge.
- Manorama Yearbook.
- GS Set for General Competition by KD Campus.
- General Knowledge by Manohar Pandey.
- Pratiyogita Darpan by Upkar Publication.
Preparation for SSC MTS Tier II exam
You can score good marks in SSC MTS Tier II exam by doing hard work. To score good candidates are suggested to follow few tips.
- Practice essays daily basis.
- Try to avoid unnecessary words while writing essays.
- You can write essays online that will also help you to improve typing speed.
- Try to follow current format of essay and don’t write any unnecessary sentences.
- Your writing should be in simple language
Important Points for SSC MTS Preparation:
To do good in the examination you should have a genuine study plan. Only a good study plan can help you to meet your goal. Below we have discussed about Preparation.
- Collect syllabus and understand it properly. Point out your weak and strong sections as well as more focused topics from syllabus.
- Now arrange previous years question papers at least last 10 years to understand about the question pattern. Note down the questions which are getting repeated.
- Prepare a timetable in such a way so that you can focused on important and weak topics on a regular basis.
- Start with your favorite subject which will boost your confidence.
- Attempt Mock tests regularly that will help you to manage time and answer writing strategy.
- In exam hall, try to answer easy question first then answer the other questions it will save your valuable time in your exam.
- Mark the questions you are doing wrong repeatedly and give more time on it.
Also Read – SSC MTS 2021 Exam Details
We are hopeful that above discussion will be helpful for your exam point of view. We have tried to provide all the information and preparation tips. While preparing check your preparation level regularly and try to improve your weak areas. Surely, you will get success in your exam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How many levels are there in the SSC MTS exam?
Ans: There are two levels in the SSC MTS exam. Successful candidates of Paper I are allowed for Paper II exam and documents verification is done at the final stage.
Q2. What are the medium of the SSC MTS exam?
Ans: The medium of examination is both English/Hindi.
Q3. Is Paper II a descriptive paper?
Ans: Yes, paper II is descriptive in nature but paper I is MCQ types.
Q4. What is the marking scheme of SSC MTS exam?
Ans: For every correct answer you will be given 1 marks but for wrong attempts 1 marks will be deducted for every four wrong attempt.
If you like this article then don’t forget to share with your friends. Also, you can find us on Facebook. For any latest update keep an eye on this page regularly or bookmark this page on your browser.