Every engineering student who is pursuing or has passed dreams of the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
Through GATE exam one can eligible for Master of Engineering (ME), Masters in Technology (MTech) and you can also get direct admissions in PhD in Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other institutes/universities in India.
Public Sector Organizations(PSUs) & Research Organizations recruit candidates using GATE score. Some of the PSUs are ONGC, NTPC, GAIL, HPCL, PGCIL, BHEL, BSNL, HPCL, NHPC, BARC, DRDO, etc. which recruits candidates through GATE score.
- Official website makes live: July 2023
- Registration for GATE 2024: Last week of August 2023
- Last Date of Application Form: 29th September 2023
- Register with late fee (Last Date): 13th October 2023
- Correction of Application form: 07th to 11th November 2023
- Admit Card Released: 3rd January 2024
- Exam Dates: 03, 04 and 10, 11 February 2024
- Release of Official Answer Key: 21st February 2024
- Declaration of Result: 16th March 2024
- Scorecard Publish: 23rd March 2024
- Counseling Process Start: April 2024
GATE 2024 Eligibility Criteria
There are some changes done for GATE. You are suggested to check eligibility criteria before application to ensure that you are eligible. General eligibility criteria are mention below.
- Nationality: Indian, Candidates of other countries are also eligible.
- Educational Qualification: Must possessed graduation in engineering/ technology or Master’s degree in any relevant subject of science.
- Age Limit: No age limitations.
Depending upon the paper eligibility criteria is discuses below:
- For B.E./ B. Tech/ B. Pharm: After 12th Grade complete Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology (4 year course) or you can also complete B.Sc./ Diploma in Engineering/ Technology(3 year course), final year students can also apply for GATE.
- B. Arch : Completed or Final year students of Bachelor’s degree in Architecture/Naval Architecture (4-year course)/Planning (4-year course).
- B.Sc.(Research)/B.S: Bachelor’s degree in Science (4 year course) or Post Diploma in Science.
- M.Sc./ M.A./ MCA or equivalent degree: Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent.
- Int. M. Sc./ Int. B.S.-M.S.: Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. Programme.
- Professional Society Exams (equivalent to B.E/ B. Tech/ B. Arch.): B.E./ B. Tech./ B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE.
GATE Application Form
Before online application, go through all the guidelines regarding form fill up. Follow the steps to fill up application form successfully.
- Do Registration: New candidates at first do registration to fill up application form. Here, you have to enter Your Name, Your Address, Email ID, Mobile Number at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). After successful registration you will get Enrollment ID and Password.
- Application Form fill up: Using Enrollment ID and Password which you have got after registration, do login and fill up the Application from.
- Upload Certificates: you will be asked to upload documents like Image (5 kb -200 kb) with background, Signature (5 kb-200 kb) in running hand, Eligibility Certificate, SC/ST Certificate (10 kb -300 kb) and PwD (10 kb -300 kb) Certificate as given in the notification.
- Make Payment: You can make your payment online through credit card, debit card, or net banking. It should be kept in mind that fees of GATE Application are not refundable or transferable.
- Declaration of Student: You must read the application from carefully before submitting it. Once you are satisfied with the given information in the application from then submit it.
GATE Application Fee
Application fee for GATE is different for different candidates. Payment of application fee is done online via net banking facility/credit card or debit card only. Additional charges are applicable for online transaction.
There is some relaxation in fee for certain categories. Once you have made your payment it will not be refunded.
Below we have mentioned application fee for different categories:
- General Application fee – ₹ 750
- Late Application Fee – ₹ 1250
For SC/ ST/ PwD:
- General Application Fee – ₹ 750
- Late Application Fee – ₹ 1250
All Other Candidates:
- General Application Fee – ₹ 1500
- Late Application Fee – ₹ 2000
For Exam Center in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu:
- General Application Fee – US$ 50
- Late Application Fee – US$ 70
For Exam Center in Dubai and Singapore:
- General Application Fee – US$ 100
- Late Application Fee – US$ 1120
If there are any defects in your application form, correct it within the given time period which is November 2023. Any kind of defects in your application form may lead to the rejection.
GATE Exam Pattern
Every year GATE exam is conducted by any of the IITs. This year two new subjects Environmental Science and Engineering (ES) and Humanities and Social Science (XS) added and no any other major changes has been done.
We have provided some basic information below:
- Examination Mode: Computer Based Test (Online)
- Conducting Institute: Among IITs (Currently IIT Bombay)
- Administered by: IISc Bangalore and Seven IIT’s Jointly
- Frequency of Examination: Annual
- Number of Subjects (Papers): 27 (ES and XH are introduced in 2021)
- Section: General Aptitude (GA) and Selected Subject by Candidate
- Type of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
- Number of Questions: 10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65
- Total Marks: 100
- Allotted Time: 3 Hours (180 Minutes)
- Design of Questions: Application, Analysis and synthesis, Comprehension, Recall
- Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL: General Aptitude(GA): 15 Marks + Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks + Subject Questions: 72 Marks = Total: 100 Marks.
- Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL: General Aptitude(GA): 15 Marks + Subject Questions: 85 Marks = Total: 100 Marks.
- Marking Scheme: All Questions are either 1 or 2 Marks. Negative marking is applicable for MCQ questions only. 1 mark will be penalized for every three wrong attempt for 1 mark questions and for 2 marks questions 2/3 will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- Validity of Score/Grade: 3 Years
GATE 2024 Cut-Off Marks
GATE examination contains two types of Cut-off viz. Qualifying Cut Off and Admission Cut Off.
- Qualifying Cut Off: This implies the minimum score have to obtain by candidate to qualify GATE examination. Subject Cut-off is also included in it. Conducting body releases the GATE qualifying Cut-off.
- Admission Cut Off: Different institutions releases admission Cut Off according to their number of seats, number of applicants, category of applicants, etc.
Tentative date for the declaration of result is March, 2024. To check qualifying status, you need the Registration Number and Password. You can check your result by following some easy steps.
- Search Official website.
- “GATE Result” tab will display on your screen and just click on it.
- Enter the information you are asked such as enrollment ID, Registration ID, and Password.
- Press ‘Submit’ button.
- Qualifying Status will display in front of your screen.
- Related Posts: How to Prepare for GATE 2024?
Q1. How many subjects are available for GATE 2024?
Ans: This year two new subjects were added to the list and now 27 subjects are available for the aspirants.
Q2. What is the age limit to appear for GATE?
Ans: No, there are no limitations on age.
Q3. Is negative marking applicable in GATE?
Ans: Yes, for 1 marks questions will be penalized 1 mark for three wrong attempts and for 2 marks questions 2/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
Q4. When the exam of GATE 2024 will be conducted?
Ans: The conducting institute IIT Bombay has released tentative dates for GATE 2021 which will be conducted from February 2024