The full from of the acronym SMS is Short Message Service. This is an organized protocol to build a communication of text-messaging among mobile phones. Text messages are exchanged between various mobile devices.
SMS can be send through mobile phones, computer systems and other devices. The modern users of SMS are enabled to multimedia attachment such as audio, video, images along with it.
If you transfer only text messages through your device, then it is known as SMS and on the other hand, if you exchange various media contents, then it is considered as a MMS.
One can use 160 alpha-numeric which is of 7 bit characters in a one text message. On the other hand, 224 characters are supported for 5 bit characters. In recent times various mobile networks such as CDMA, GSM & TDMA assists to provide SMS service.
All the telecommunication service providers like Airtel, Idea, Vodafone and others offer the service of SMS.
Initially, it was supported by only GSM devices but later it is also supported by CDMA devices. Number of active users of SMS is the highest which is approximately 3.6 billons.
Related Full Form:
History of SMS
- During 1980s, the facility of text message was first introduced in the mobile phones.
- In 1982 in the month of December, allow to provide action plan for GSM to the public mobile networks.
- One can share their text messages only through mobile stations or managing stations as per this plan.
- In the collaboration of Franco-German, the idea of SMS was developed by Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert in 1984.
- For the optimization of telecommunications networks and to transfer of messages through signalling paths was the major reason lies behind the concept of SMS.
- Friedhelm Hillebrand decided to allow a maximum of 160 alpha-numeric characters for a single text message.
How to Send a Text Message?
Anyone can exchange text messages with their friends, family members and other members through messages by following some simple steps as:
Beginning of a Conversation:
- Open the application for message that you have on your phone.
- Click on the (+) sign to compose a message.
- Put the name and mobile phone number in “To” option to select the person you want to message. You are able to choose anyone from your contact list to send message.
Send a Message:
- First of all, click on to the message icon.
- Type your text and then click on to the send option.
- In case, you want to save it for further use then create a draft of it.
How does SMS send?
When you press the send option, then it goes to the control channel which is a nearby cellular tower and then to the SMS center (SMSC).
This message is send to the closest tower of the recipient from the SMS center (SMSC) and then received by the recipient on their phone. Data is also send along with the SMS such as destination, format, size of the message, time of the message.
SMS vs OTT
1. Almost every device and mobile networks supports the SMS service in recent times. Users from any platform or device are able to send text message on the other devices as well as platforms.
On the other hand, users are not able to share on the other application through OTT as it is a closed circuit application. For example, a user of WeChat is not able to share anything on Facebook Messenger.
2. There is a limitation for character for a SMS i.e. 160 characters is allowed per message. If a message is longer than this, then it will link together.
In case of OTT application, there is no limitation of in message size and is better platform to share file. In addition to this, users are also able to avail extra features such as share message in groups, can attach video, audio and images.
3. SMS is not encrypted but message on OTT application is encrypted.
4. To send message using SMS, cellular networks are used and on the other hand, internet services are used to send message through OTT application.
5. Cost of sending a message using SMS is dependent on carrier but in the OTT application it is free.
Advantage of SMS
- Confidential text messages (information) can be exchanged securely as this messages are protected.
- This is also a discrete method to send information apart from phone calls.
- SMS can be send immediately on all the mobile platform without any internet access.
- Users can store SMS indefinitely and can be removed whenever they want.
- It is pre-installed in every phone, so, you don’t need to install it from any external sources.
Limitation of SMS
- You can send a message of only 160 characters in one message.
- The service of SMS is not free of cost, you have to a certain amount for every text message.
- There is no option to unsent the message once you have click on to the send option.
We hope this post will help you to know about the SMS Full Form, History, Advantage, Limitation, and more. For more Full Form like this visit this website regular basis. Also, you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get latest post notification immediately.
SMS Full Form: FAQs
Q1. What is the full form of SMS?
Ans: The full form of SMS is Short Message Service.
Q2. Who developed the idea of SMS?
Ans: The idea of SMS was developed by Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert.
Q3. How much maximum character is allowed in a single message?
Ans: A maximum of 160 characters is allowed in a single message.
Q4. Can it be possible to unsent a message after delivery?
Ans: No, there is no option to unsent a message after delivery.
Q5. How can I install the application of message on my phone?
Ans: You don’t need to install the application of message as it is already installed on your phone.