LCDs used in present days is not same as CRT which was used some years ago in the screens. Liquid crystals is used to perform the primary operation in place of previous CRT.
Liquid crystals contains millions of pixels that are situated as rectangular grid. To provide light to each and every pixel in LCD, backlights are used for this purpose.
Red, green, and blue (RGB) is used as sub-pixel that are enable to switch off or on when required. It will be black, if all these sub-pixels are turned off and on the other hand, it will be white, if all these sub-pixels are turned on.
History of LCD
In 1888, Friedrich Reinitzer, an Austrian botanist, first discovered liquid crystals by extracting cholesterol from carrots. For various research and experimental works liquid crystals was used at that time.
After few decades, in 1936, liquid crystal was used practically which is known to us as Liquid Crystal Light Valve that is also used for wireless telegraphy. In 1964, Richard Williams, a member of research team in RCA, able to generate liquid crystal layer that was very thin by the application of voltage through it.
This is also known to us as electro-optical effects. In 1964, George Heilmeier, an electrical engineer, working in the RCA Laboratories first construct LCD display. In the year of 1972, James Fergason, the owner of International Liquid Crystal Company (ILIXCO), produced the first modern LCD.
Construction of LCD
We can understand the significance of name LCD through its construction. It will be beneficial for the science students and will give a clear idea to the users as well.
- It is made up of the combination of two phases i.e. the liquid and solid matters.
- The solid section of this is for crystal and with this crystal and liquid it makes an image that is visible to us.
- Two polarized filters and electrodes are the two layers that contains in the LCD.
- The pixel grids that are used in the LCDs are Active Matrix Grid and Passive Matrix Grid.
- Active Matrix Grid is the latest technology that are used in the various smartphones along with the LCD screen.
- Passive Matrix Grid is an older technology that is used in some rare and old applications.
Working Function of LCD
The main principle lying behind the works of LCD is in the liquid crystals that emit color. It is an optical device that is modulated by electronically containing liquid crystals filled segments.
Liquid crystals and polarized light is used that helps to display images. With the application of voltage to LCD TVs, wide bright light become visible to the viewers. Images are generated with the help of millions of pixels.
Application of LCD
LCD is applied in most of the devices on their screens to display images are Televisions, Calculators, Digital clocks, Computer, Laptops, Gaming Devices, Mobile Phones, Smart Phones etc.
Advantage of LCD
- One of the most important advantage of LCD is that it is available in low price and consume low energy as well as power.
- LCD is very thin, flexible and light.
- We can get very good contrast, brightness and resolution, for this reason, the images that displayed in the screen is of very good quality like crystal.
- Radiation of CRT monitor is higher than that of LCD monitors.
- Integration of LCDs and CMOS is very compatible, so it is very easy to build a LCD screen.
- Sharpness is very good when it is at native resolution.
Disadvantages of LCD
- In LCDs, the additional light sources that is used in lightning the millions of pixels, once damaged will not able to display any image on the screen.
- LCD is not much reliable as to display screen.
- Visibility of image is as per the intensity of light.
- In LCD, aspect ratio and resolution is unchangeable.
- Intensity scale of LCD is not regular and the range of discrete intensity that is produced in the LCD is within 256.
- At lower intensity level in LCD, the intensity of color is reduced because of the decreased black-level.
- It has limited to view images properly in the LCD screen and if we look beyond this range, the image color will not be proper.
As display using LCD looks very beautiful and attractive, this is liked by everyone on their screen. We are expecting more innovative features in it.
More Related Full Forms:
|CCTV Full Form||GIF Full Form|
|CDMA Full Form||GPF Full Form|
|LED Full Form||USB Full Form|
|Computer Full Form||VFX Full Form|
We hope this post will help you to know the LCD Full Form, History, Construction, Working function, Application, Advantage, Disadvantage, etc. For get more full form like this visit this website regular basis. Also, you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get latest post notification immediately.
LCD Full Form: FAQs
Q1. What is the full form of LCD?
Ans: The full form of LCD is Liquid Crystal Display.
Q2. Can LCD be healed itself?
Ans: No, it is not possible to heal LCD by itself. If anyone found a black colored liquid that is emitting from the display, then this is the indication of permanent damage of screen of the device. In this condition, you have to consult with an expert technician.
Q3. When was the first modern LCD was produced?
Ans: In 1972, James Fergason produced the first modern LCD.
Q4. What are the phases that is used in the LCD?
Ans: In LCD, liquid and solid phases are the two phases that is used in the LCD screen.
Q5. What are the colors that is used in the LCD as sub-pixel?
Ans: Red, green, and blue (RGB) are the colors that is used in the LCD as sub-pixel.